Thursday 16 March 2023

Furniture Change

We've got a bit fed up with our dining table and want something more in keeping with the house and with a bit of wow factor.

I thought a live edge, oak dining table would be perfect, and Hay agreed. I managed to find a bloke just outside of Wotton-Under-Edge who works on the Barclay Estate and slices ash trees into lengths that are perfect for the job, with a bit of work. He advertises them for £200, which is a steal. Yes, they're seasoned.


It's called olive ash, which is a term for the heartwood of the ash tree, with distinctive patterning that resembles olive wood.


Went to see him and his ash slabs on Saturday and agreed a delivered price of £140 for a 2.5m x 1m slab. I was expecting to be charged £400, at least.  A new project to take up my time.


The problem is that I'll need to do the work on the slab in my new garage (sanding smooth and oiling), which means it will be competing for space with the Triumph GT6 project I'm about to buy.

We also need to find suitable legs. The slabs require 3 blokes to lift.


No comments: