Monday 27 March 2023

Hereford

Had a couple of days in the motorhome at a place just outside Hereford, a place I've never visited and will not be sorry not to visit again. I don't mean the campsite, which was fine, but Hereford itself. 


It's not Hereford's fault, but that of the businesses that have decided to create the not-so-unique shopping experience. Costa Coffee, the Edinburgh Wool Mill, Primark, Mountain Warehouse, Boots, numerous mobile phone shops, Marks and Spencer, JD Sports, New Look, Poundland......

One town is now no different from any other homogenised one and independent traders have presumably been squeezed out by extortionate rents. I just looked up who owns the centre of Hereford and it's the council, so it is Hereford's fault. The best place is the Hereford Butter Market, a traditional covered market with independent traders.

I do wish more places could be like Totnes and not allow the big chains into the centre.

Anyway, while walking into Hereford from the campsite I spotted these chairs in a garage window.


They're made from oil drums. Might have a go at making a couple of these for the workshop. I can get oil drums by the dozen from a local car dealership and all that's required is a bit of plastic edging strip, some castors, a bit of paint and a few tools.

Decided to have a shower at the shower block at the campsite before coming back home yesterday morning. I asked Hay for a towel and she gave me something the size of a flannel. I protested that this duster stood no chance of drying anything other than my face, but she assured me it was a highly absorbent towel made of microfibres.


I should know by now not to argue with her - it worked perfectly, despite its diminutive size.


No comments: