Saturday 23 September 2023

Table Mod

Now I have the ash slab table finsihed, I want to add a modification to the LED light setup.


It's fiddly trying to switch the lights on with the switch being in a recessed chamber under the table, so I thought about adding an Arduino controller and Bluetooth switch so I could control it form a phone App.

Not being an electronics kind of person, I fear that the controller would take too much of the 9V battery's current, 7 x 24. There are 9 LEDs already and they drain the 9V battery within 12 hours when on.

Any electronics experts out there who can shed some light (forgive the unintended pun) on it?

I also got rid of the hideous, cartwheel candelabra over the table that everyone kept knocking their heads on, replacing it with the art deco lights I bought 2nd hand about 6 months ago. A vast improvement.



More in keeping with the decor. The 4 x 6W energy saving bulbs may be a bit bright, but I can play around with different wattages. 

I bought two of these ceiling lights, so I put the other one over the coffee table at the other end of the room to provide balance. There's no wire in the ceiling there to have it lit and it's mainly for effect. However, the bulb holders are just the right size to take tea-lights that provide a cosy glow.




The coffee table is actually an extending dining table that I adapted by shortening its legs. We never pull out the other leaf of the coffee table, so its length is stable. Perhaps my next project could be an ash slab coffee table to match the dining table.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The leds offered by FE companies in bulk in smd are highly efficient compared to older 5 mm ones. Perhaps exchanging helps to prolong battery life.