Sunday 16 April 2023

It's a Miracle!

Overheard on the way to Porlock:

Hay: "Look, a hairdresser's shop called Gingerman."

Chairman: "That'll limit the customer base - only ginger men. I suppose Harry would be welcome." 

As my regular reader knows, I've been on a keto diet for about 2 weeks now, and the result has been incredible on my osteoarthritis.

We've been in Porlock in the motorhome for the weekend and yesterday we decided to walk to Hurlstone Point and then to Porlock Weir, a distance of about 6 miles; however, the section from Bossington to Hursltone Point is up a steep track which, just 2 weeks ago, would have had me grimacing with pain and demanding to use a trekking stick - or even two.




The last photo is the track we took down from the castellation halfway up the headland down to Bossington Beach. The photo doesn't do the incline justice. Normally I wouldn't have attempted it.

Not a twinge from the knees, which was as welcome as it was surprising. Not a twinge on the way up and not a twitch on the even steeper way down. 2 weeks ago I was unable to climb a set of stairs without feeling noticeable pain and I was using the Tesco lift in preference to the stairs.

A couple of side effects of the diet, however - bloating and irregularity in the bowels. I normally have one, exceedingly good bowel movement just after I rise, as regular as clockwork. Of late, however, I've had smaller movements and occasionally twice a day. I need to up my dietary fibre, such as chewing on some celery during the day, or having yoghurt sprinkled with bran for breakfast.


No comments: