Thursday 27 April 2023

Trailer Update

What a palaver trying to get this bloody trailer weighed, but I got there in the end.

The farmer who has a weighbridge has been slapped with a council order such that he can only use it for agricultural purposes, caused by a neighbour complaining about something, so he couldn't help. I sent him a photo of the trailer and asked if he could guess the weight.

I then managed to find a coal depot in Badminton, about 4 miles away, that has a weighbridge and charges £6 per item. I had to get the trailer there yesterday, as the Badminton Horse Trials start today and last till Sunday, meaning the roads around here will be an utter nightmare.

Anyway, I dragged No.2 Son from his bed to provide some additional ,muscle to get the trailer out of the top car park and duly set off for Badminton just after they opened.

It weighed in at exactly 700kg which, with my braked towing capacity of 1800kg, gives me the ability to tow it and an average saloon car, such as a Hyundai i20. The Triumph GT6, at 850kg, is easily within my limit, especially when half the panels aren't even on the car and will be stowed inside my Ford Galaxy.


If I need to carry anything heavier than an i20, then the spare wheel would have to go, along with one of the two axles. Of course, I could always use a car with a greater braked towing capacity, such as one of those Taliban trucks.

I got a reply from the farmer with his guess, which was between 600 and 800kg - he was spot on. I told him he didn't really need a weighbridge with his ability to guess weights.

Happy days - but, needless to say, Hay is not impressed. She was hoping for it to be too heavy and me having to flip it. 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Any scrap metal yard will have a weighbridge and would do it for a few quid they do motorhomes all the time and individual front/ back axle weights