Tuesday 25 April 2023

Keto Jerky

A quick update on the car trailer; I've found a local farmer who has a weighbridge and am in contact with him. Hopefully I'll have the trailer weighed within the week.

Thought I'd have a go at making sugar-free jerky for my keto snacks.



Used the air fryer and it is delicious, despite looking like cat shit.

Part freeze some skirt steak (cheap cut - I used half a kilo) on order to make it easier to slice, then cut it across the gain (so it isn't too chewy) in quarter inch slices. Make sure you remove any fat or membrane from the skirt steak first.

Place in a plastic bag with a rub made from salt, pepper, smoked paprika, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder and a slight splosh of Ketjap Manis (Indonesian sweet soy from Waitrose - the only carb contribution and my own twist) to provide some moisture. A splash of Worcestershire Sauce is OK too. Massage the bag to spread the rub over the meat and allow to marinade in the fridge for a couple of hours.

Lay on the air fryer racks, ensuring the pieces of meat are separated and don't touch. For the oven, place on greaseproof.

Dehydrate at 100 degrees C for a couple of hours, or until you reach the desired consistency.

You can play around with the rub and come up with whatever taste suits you best. I liked it so much that I made another kilo in the oven.


Once I'd done one side and it had shrunk a bit, I finished it off in the air fryer, as it's more efficient and doesn't leave the bits stewing in their own juice, which extends the drying time.

I have the rub all ready in vast quantities and can make it very quickly now.

Yum, yum!


1 comment:

David Boffey said...

Yum, yum! Indeed.