Tuesday 11 April 2023

Keto Conundrum

Since late last year I've been suffering from increasing pain from osteoarthritis in my knees, which is rather debilitating when Hay and I go coastal walking that involves steep climbs.


However, in order to get back into my summer plumage, I've been engaged with a mild keto diet for the last couple of weeks and the pain in my knees has almost completely disappeared.

A keto diet isn't much of a problem for me, as I love meat, cheese, eggs, etc. Bread, potatoes, pasta and rice - being the carbohydrates you have to leave off the menu - are easy for me to leave aside. Biscuits and desserts are a different matter, but not insurmountable.

There is limited evidence to suggest that while a keto diet has numerous benefits in terms of losing weight, reducing the risk of diabetes and improving prophylaxis against cancers, it can also reduce inflammatory responses in the body, and osteoarthritis is an inflammatory response. The knee pain does tend to return when I transgress and consume a bit of carbs.


3 comments:

David Boffey said...

"concerns about serum sodium levels led the authors to propose the diet only be used in "selected" people, and under strict medical supervision"

Philip Van Bergen said...

Don't forget the Mrs is a PhD biochemist.

Anonymous said...

A former refinery colleague of mine went to doctors with a bad knee and lady Dr. told him it was age.... He told her not to be daft because the other one was same age and that one didn't hurt