Sunday 4 June 2023

An Absolute Router

Decided to bite the bullet and have a go at attempting to router the ash slab dining table top. What a palaver!

Got everything prepared and discovered the slab was so warped that I had to build up the rails along which the routing sled was to slide.

To reduce the amount of work, I cut the slab to the correct length, thereby eliminating the worst of the warp.




I then discovered the routing sled base was so thick that the router bit didn't protrude anywhere near enough, meaning the job would have to be completed in minor increments.

Then it transpired than the 1/2 inch router I'd bought 2nd hand on Facebook Market didn't work - checked the fuse, but no, it was totally dead for some unknown reason. 

Went and got the 1/4 inch router and that at least worked, but made the job even more laborious.

Got one corner done - the less warped of the two diametrically opposed corners that were raised.


Sanded it down with the belt sander and was quite pleased with the result, but the other corner at the opposite end is proving a nightmare.



The warp is so bad that I will take me a long time to get it reasonably level and will require me to buy more wood for the rails, which will have to be judiciously trimmed to provide the right clearance. I'm going to have to cut the rail wood into several slices to provide shims that can be incrementally removed.

I shall persevere, but the job is hindered by me having cut destressing cuts into the underside, meaning I have limited scope for how much I can shave off with the router.


No comments: