Monday 12 June 2023

Progress

I was determined to get busy on the ash table top yesterday, but was thwarted at every juncture.

The collet broke on the 1/4 inch router, rendering it useless. Neither ToolStation or ScrewFix had the required collet, so I have to wait for the postal system.



The 1/2 inch router had the trigger switch issue, which I resolved by simply shorting the switch, using the plug to start and stop it. Lost the 2nd collet spanner, so that delayed me, and I had to find a suitable spanner in my assorted spanner collection.

Managed to get more than half way through the rough routering of the underside, doing it in steps of a centimetre or two at a time. 

I have to finish it by next weekend, as the garage space will be taken up with the GT6 on the 21st of June. I may get time during the week, as Hay is away with her dad till Wednesday. 

Once I've done the rough routering, I'll do a final pass over the base to even everything out, sand it with the belt sander at 80 grit and then sand both sides with 120 grit. The finishing touch will be the application of matt, kitchen worktop oil, which will bring out the grain wonderfully. Still haven't made a final decision on the pin-prick LEDs in the knotholes, but they will be filled with resin.

Because the warp in the wood was quite severe, it's turning out to be half the original thickness, which is no bad thing, given the original slab took 4 people to lift it.

Last week Hay and I went to see the fabricator who made our extra-large cooker hood. We went to get him to quote for a bespoke 3.4m x 3.4m gazebo we want made for the patio, but I also showed him a picture of the tree bole/trunk base I want, and he said it was well within his capability. 


No comments: