Thursday 22 June 2023

Triumph GT6 Project Collection

Went to Eastbourne yesterday to collect my GT6 Project. A mate hired me his recovery truck for £50 plus any fuel.

The day, however, didn't start well. I went to an Evri drop off shop in Yate on behalf of Hay, leaving the Hyundai i10 keys in the car. For the 2nd time in a month, the car locked me out. How illogical can it be for a car to lock you out if you leave the keys in the ignition? The time you want it to automatically lock is when the keys aren't in the ignition and you've left it. Anyway, it meant I had to walk home and get the spare keys, which added an hour to my leave time for collecting the GT6.

The recovery truck was a bit of a mess - a massive crack across the windscreen, no 3rd gear, a knackered  handbrake and it had done a quarter of a million miles. It did the job though.

Duly arrived at 10:30 at the seller's house.





There was a plenty of stuff to collect, meaning a lot of panels had to be strapped to the deck of the recovery truck.




It's fitted with an aftermarket, fibreglass bonnet with Sebring style headlamp receptors. I don't really like it. Luckily the original (and heavy) steel bonnet is present, but fitting it requires the outriggers to be welded back on. There's also a fibreglass door panel, which isn't really required, and two tailgates. 

Overall, it's in pretty good condition with all the serious rot hacked out and plated. What surface rust remains can be wire brushed clean. 

On the way back I did notice that there was a rather nice sports car tailgating me.


I seemed it was right on my back. Got home 3 hours later and decanted the GT6 on the drive.









I did manage to get a small discount on the car. If you look carefully at the following photo you'll see a slight scratch on the paintwork.


You might not notice it, as it only shows up in certain light......

There's also a 2nd cylinder head, which is modified for electronic fuel injection. Not sure I'll use it, as I prefer originality. I do hope there's original, 1971 air in the tyres....

As you can see, the car was originally green but received a yellow respray at some time. I want to paint it the same colour as the car below, which appears to be a cross between Sahara Bronze and Opalescent Golden Sand, the latter being a Jaguar colour in the 60s and 70s.



Here's a promo shot of Sahara Bronze.


And here's Opalescent Golden Sand, which is a bit closer to the colour I'm looking for.


That, however, will be a long time in the future. First I need to catalogue all the parts, find space for them, clean them and organise a gradual refurbishment programme. No.1 on the list is to get rid of a mate's dog warden's dog cage I have been looking after for him and is taking up much needed space.


 At least my retirement is sorted. You'll probably see this car next on Bangers & Cash once I've kicked the bucket and Hay is tired of a garage full of bits.

However, it's not the first time I've rebuilt a classic - I've done a partial rebuild of an MGB GT and a full rebuild of an MGB roadster, so I have previous.


No comments: