Friday 26 January 2024

Come In Control Tower

Had a disaster with No.1 Son's DJI Mini 2 drone yesterday. Hay and I went to Mallard's Pike, a man-made lake in the Forest of Dean. I thought I'd take No.1 Son's drone to get some nice footage of flying up the lake.










Instead of flying up the lake, spinning the drone on its axis and then flying back, I thought I'd do a half circle. However, part way through the turn the drone clipped a branch and started to tumble. I thought I'd lost it in a tree; however, it suddenly freed itself and started to fly again.

The problem was that I couldn't get it to rise and it kept losing altitude as is came back toward me until, finally, it splash landed in the middle of the lake and sank. The branch I hit must have damaged one of the rotor blades and thus it lost lift.

Now the lake isn't deep - I'd estimate a two or three feet at most. It is, however, very murky, especially after all the rain. If I had my waders with me I'd have attempted a rescue, but I couldn't dressed as I was.

A very expensive mistake that was bound to happen at some stage. Luckily I found a 2nd hand one e-Bay for £250, which is around what he paid for his.


1 comment:

David Boffey said...

Ground control to Major Tom!