Monday 15 January 2024

Jigsaw

The final parts belonging to the GT6 jigsaw, as far as the bodywork is concerned, arrived last week.


The two lower wings for the bonnet. I thought I'd take advantage of Rimmer Brothers' January Sale.

There is a possibility I may need an extra few small items, depending on what happens when I split the old lower wings from the spot welds.





Can't wait for the warmer weather. All the work can be done with the bonnet off the car, which is a distinct advantage.

As an aside, I came across this analysis of R129 Mercedes SL 500 prices, which is very encouraging. 


I paid £5.5k for mine in 2016, but it's now worth north of £14k, and it's still under 100k miles (just). Hopefully the work on the loom of my SL500 will commence some time this quarter. If it does, and I have the necessary funds set aside, I can sell it and really go to work on the GT6 rebuild to a very high standard, possibly even replacing the 2 litre straight 6 with something a bit more meaty, such as a TR6 2.5 lump, which is a popular conversion and should have been the engine Triumph put in the Mk3. Non-original, but what Triumph would have done if they wanted to revive the marque, instead of sticking with the 2L Vitesse engine. Originality is not the end game, but having a nice car.


No comments: