Sunday 30 June 2013

Who Wears Short Shorts


Bought some new shorts the other day. Working predominantly from home, except for the one or two days I have to show my face at the office in Southampton and act the part of MD, I generally wear shorts all summer. The shorts I bought are proper shorts, not the ones currently in vogue that extend well below the knee and come endowed with a preponderance of zippers and voluminous, yet totally ineffective pockets. No; proper shorts of the type I used to wear in my teens, 20s, and indeed 30s - the ones where you actually get some sun on your legs.

No.1 son caused me concern yesterday when I accompanied him to town for breakfast by enquiring why I was wearing boxer shorts in public. Glancing in a shop window reflection of myself, I had to admit that it did indeed look as if I was parading around in my underwear.

Even sports people these days wear shorts of a length that wouldn't have looked out of place in the 1940s and 50s. George Best would turn in his grave.



4 comments:

J Cosmo Newbery said...

So you disinherited him, right?

Chairman Bill said...

There's nothing to inherit!

Jackie van Bergen said...

My husband says it's a Dad's job to embarrass his kids. His daughter says he is one of the best at it. You might have competition - or does it just come with the surname?

Chairman Bill said...

Nothing to do with the surname (which is a very good one) - it's sadly the fate of every father that he eventually embarrasses his children. I think it's the Y chromosome that makes us do it.