Thursday 19 May 2016

Trains & Phantom Phone Syndrome


Went to London on Tuesday for a business meeting. Can anyone explain to me the logic of a Circle Line tube train that goes to Hammersmith? Since time immemorial the Circle Line has been just that - a tube line that goes in a circle around London. Now the powers that be define Hammersmith as part of the Circle Line. Never mind about tourists being confused, so was I.

Got on the train at Paddington and found my pre-booked seat, only to be confronted by  a gargantuan man in the seat next to me who thought it was fine to spread the contents of hos bag over my seat, thereby reserving it for himself. Naturally, I glowered at him and proceeded to put his bag contents on his lap. He glowered back, but acquiesced to my unspoken demand and then settled back into his reserved seat. However, he got off at Swindon, whereas the seat was booked to Bristol - it wasn't even his booked seat!

I've been having some strange sensations of late - I keep getting a vibration on my leg in the region of my left hand trouser pocket. I keep thinking it's my phone vibrating on silent, but there is no phone in my pocket. I'm calling it phantom phone syndrome.

Apropos of yesterday's post; if the Brexits  are so concerned with their self-determination and freedom, why the hell is the turnout for the European elections the lowest of any election? It's only now they come out in their droves. The reason is that the EU hardly affects them in their daily lives. It appears to me that they are clutching at straws, citing sovereignty and suchlike, in order to avoid having to say they actually hate bloody foreigners.

Also, out of 73 seats, we have 24 UKIP MEPs - that's 33% and the largest party. If the complaints are that we have little influence in the European Parliament, why the hell are people voting for candidates who have absolutely no commitment to the EU whatsoever and simply want us out. You can thank UKIP MEP voters and those who didn't vote at all for the lack of influence - the very  people who complain about it.


2 comments:

potty said...

Euro elections are low turn out because the elected party has no responsibility or power to represent their region or country. The appointees and officials have all the decision making jobs to do their own agenda.

Chairman Bill said...

No - it's because the EU doesn't touch us in our daily lives. They don't set our taxes, they don't run the NHS, they son't build roads, etc., etc., etc.

What happened in Greece hasn't affected me in the slightest, except making holidays cheaper.