Wednesday 17 January 2018

Absolute Strength Carillion Candles


When checking the performance of Sterling I'm constantly annoyed at having to check it against several currencies and keeping a mental note of what's happening in each pairing. This led me to think about tracking currencies against something more absolute than just another currency, such as gold, but even gold suffers from the effects of supply and demand.

This induced me to do a bit of research and I came across the concept of Absolute Currency Strength, which is the strength of a currency against a basket of currencies. This is the chart for yesterday morning:

The chart can be found here. The meter takes readings from every forex pair over the last 24 hours, and applies calculations to each. It then bundles together each the associated pairs to an individual currency (eg, EUR/USD, EUR/JPY, EUR/GBP etc) and finds the current strength. The only problem is that it spans just 24 hours, which is not long enough for my purposes - a week or a month would be better. With 24 hours the results go up and down like the proverbial whore's drawers.

This problem got me searching Google Play and I came up with Currency Strength Indicator, where you can set the time frame from anything between 1 minute and 1 month and a sample of between 10 to 100 points in that time.


Don't know why, but I detest coloured candles, especially the ones that are dipped to achieve the colour. Hay had a couple of left-overs from her dad, so my OCD getting the better of me I peeled them with the potato peeler to remove the red wax dip. Feel much happier now...

Could someone explain how, if the government has existing contacts with Carillion and was paying for them, taking control of those contracts through existing Carillion staff and paying them, is going to cost more? Surely, with the profit element gone and the staff being paid the same, it will cost less than under the liquidated regime? The only answer that makes sense is if the government has paid up-front and the money has already gone, although I can't believe anyone would be so stupid. If the company is in liquidation, then I suppose the creditors would have first dibs on any assets, so there is that to factor in - and assets would need to be bought back from the liquidator by the government. However, assets would be going for a song in a fire sale.


1 comment:

Steve Borthwick said...

Don't they use the local price of a "Big Mac" as a universal indicator of currency health? (it's about the only consistent thing that's available everywhere!)