Monday 21 August 2023

Bench Press Women

I had every good intention of watching the Women's World Cup yesterday: I enquired of Google when the match was scheduled and learned it was on TV at 09:30. I duly switched on at 09:30 and watched what I thought would be half an hour of lead-up. 

No, it went to an hour and a half, by which time I'd read a few chapters of the book, 'Johnson at 10 - the inside story' by Sir Anthony Seldon (well worth a read if you want to know the chaos that reigned when he was PM), and fallen asleep on the settee. Woke at 10:30 and went outside to do some plug welding practice and then went to collect a tool I'd bought on Facebook Market.

When the lead-up is as long as the bloody match itself, it gets a bit much and puts you off. It was nothing to do with it being women's football and everything to do with the TV companies need to fill TV minutes with pointless chatter.

I managed to watch the last few minutes and was rather amused to see the Spanish team's dugout crew celebrating by hugging each other and, as far as I could see, every single one was a bloke. There's obviously a long way to go.

If women's football is attracting sponsorship, that must mean that the existing sponsorship has to be spread further. Will that mean lower salaries for the men's game?

If there were to be mixed football, a team with a female goalkeeper would be at an advantage in the scenario of a male taking a penalty, as women are psychic when it comes to men and would know which way the ball was going to be kicked before the kicker got anywhere near the ball.

The number of us still alive who can remember England last winning a World Cup is shrinking every year. Chat GPT estimates there are only 26.5m of us left. The number will decline at an accelerating rate as the years go by.

Anyway, another Facebook Market bargain was collected yesterday.


A Sealey bench press drill and a free 'thingie'. I've yet to determine the function of the 'thingie', but I'm sure it will dawn on me. The new price of the drill is £180 and I got it for £20 - bargain!

I hope to have a bench sander by the end of tomorrow.


No comments: