Saturday 26 August 2023

Paying for Opulence

I was inveigled into dropping off a BMW to have some work done on it at the BMW showroom and service centre in Cheltenham yesterday. No wonder BMWs are expensive; I kid you not, the place was like a 4 star hotel. Such a waste of money on public image - and the customer has to pay for it.

The plaques on the walls in the opulent service area maintained that the mechanics weren't mechanics at all, but Master Technicians.

I've been to many showrooms and service centres and this one beat even the Porsche one in Tewkesbury for sheer decadence and plushness. It was huge too - 3 stories high.


However, my eye was drawn to this conversation piece:



A 1974 BMW 3.0 CS in Polaris Silver, also known as the E9. A beautiful piece of motoring history with a body designed by the legendary Karmann.

I always lusted after a VW Karmann Ghia, but never got to own one. The only affordable examples in my youth were rotten to the core. However, prices have plummeted and you can get a perfect one for £15-16k now.


1 comment:

RannedomThoughts said...

Did you at least get to sit in it????