Sunday 6 August 2023

Spot On.

Made a mad dash up to Preston yesterday to collect the galvanised Mk 2 GT6 chassis I bought last month. Got as far as Sandbach and, as it had been bucketing down all the way, I thought to buy myself a Pac-A-Mac at the services, but they had none. Was thinking I was going to get soaked strapping the chassis down to the trailer. Got to Leyland and it eased off and by the time I reached Preston it had cleared up completely - my luck was in.


Yes, it's a Mk2, but I have a front section from a Mk 3 to stitch on to it and it's galvanised inside and out.

The plan is to get the tub off the GT6 (once I've finished repairing the bodywork) and see which chassis is best, flipping the worst of the two. For the time being, it's going to stay on the trailer till I reorganise the garage space, as my mate's double dog kennel that was taking up so much room has finally been reclaimed.

Some say galvanising is no better than painting, but to galvanise something it's dipped in hot zinc, which penetrates every square inch, including the inside of box sections that you couldn't reach with paint.

On Friday I'd discovered a spot welding machine in Pembrokeshire, but it turned out it was 3 phase, necessitating an expensive generator, so I passed on it. Got home from Preston and found a single phase spot welder in Worcester, just a couple of minutes off my return path from Preston yesterday. Wish I'd spotted it earlier.

Anyway, going up to Worcester in a few minutes to collect it - an hour each way. It's 32A, so I'm either going to have to get 32A into the garage, or do any spot welding in short bursts. We shall see if it trips the breakers - the arc welder and the MiG welder seem to do OK on the supply that's there.


No comments: