Friday 18 August 2023

Shed in a Day

For a while I've wanted to build a shelter for my ride-on mower to protect it from the rain. I've been using a car cover, but it's a pain putting it on the mower every time after use and it continually blows off. Not only that, but it traps damp in the ground.

Yesterday I got Colin, our tame builder and neighbour, to help me build a shelter for it - well, I actually assisted him. 

We used only wood I'd reclaimed from a friend's building project, plus some wood we've had lying around for ages, including the remains of a summerhouse a friend brought round to put on our bonfire.

A bought shed would not be suitable due to the narrow door width, the lack of weight bearing capacity in the floor and the door lip.





We built it between the cabins at the top of the garden, attached to one of them as a lean-to. Now I can simply drive the ride-on mower in and leave it. It's long enough such that it's almost impossible for rain to get to the mower, but I may close one end with a roll-up tarpaulin.

Total cost was a day of Colin's time (£200) and a roll of roofing felt. It's so handy having a builder as a neighbour.


1 comment: