Saturday 12 August 2023

Curves

Finally managed to get the right connector for my Sealey sheet metal nibbler.

It transpired that it was 3/8ths BSP, but not the usual 1/4 inch, or indeed the next most popular 1/2 inch.

I bought it from a local automotive repair shop where I was informed that manufacturers occasionally modify their tools without telling anyone, leaving the instructions untouched. 

I must say I'm impressed with its operation and ability to cut out complex shapes. A great improvement on my pneumatic shears, which are OK for straight lines, but useless for curves and leave a lot of waste.

Next on the tool list is a budget device for shaping and crimping sheet metal, thus enabling me to fabricate repair sections, rather than having to buy complete panels. There's a vice-mounted device that's cheap as chips. 

Useful for short pieces of repair sections. 

Found a hardly-used, Metz sheet metal shrinker / stretcher on Facebook Market, which I'm hoping to pick up today. Advertised for £50, which is a fraction of the cost of a new one. Useful for creating flanges on curved panel repair sections. 



Having played with the spot welder, which is fabulous, the main drawback is getting it into tight spaces and locations beyond the reach of the arms. What's needed is flexible extensions to the arms, but I don't believe that's possible. There are all manner of complex, solid arms, but nothing bendy. 


No comments: