Saturday 19 August 2023

Winch

I got Colin to drill the partition wall between the garage and workshop, so I could fit a manual winch that I bought last week on Facebook Market for £20. I need it so I can pull the GT6 back into the garage on my own after working on it in the open. The lip at the garage entrance is just too steep for me to push it in by myself (it takes 2 or 3 people), and I want to be able to get it in on my own within a minute if it happens to rain while working on it out of the garage.

The winding handle meant I had to locate it by the workshop door entrance in order to give me the room needed to swing it round.


It actually takes a minute and a half, which isn't that bad. While I have lots of lights in the garage, slight imperfections in the bodywork are only visible in daylight and some of the welding is best does outside.

In the absence of a towing point, the cable is wrapped around a baulk of wood placed through the back windows. I may, at some time in the future, upgrade to an electric winch, if I find one cheap enough, although the implications of an electrical problem and it not switching off could be catastrophic. 


No comments: