Monday 14 August 2023

Stretching & Shrinking

Got the Metz stretcher / shrinker bolted to my workbench when we got home and I gave it a go.

You can mount the device in a vice, but there are also two threaded holes on the underside where you can bolt it down to a convenient and sturdy surface. The vice in the foreground is simply in the foreground and not attached to the stretcher / shrinker in any way.


First I took a small rectangle of metal and shrank one edge. I then took another rectangle of metal, bent it 90 degrees to create a flange and then shrank the flange to create a nice curve to the whole piece.


As you can see from the photo above, it worked perfectly. The rectangle curved around the edge that was shrunk and the flanged piece curved nicely for what could be the perfect shape for a repair section I need to insert into the rear valance of the GT6, with the flange being spot welded to the inner wing panel.

I'm most impressed.


1 comment:

Jinksy said...

Impressed? Yes, I am, but what a meandering Blogland road I followed to end up here. I couldn't help thinking for a split second, that you had invented Everywoman's Must Have tool for perfecting one's bodywork...Hehehe...