Tuesday 22 August 2023

On a Roll - or a Belt

 I'm on a roll with my tool purchases.


A Lumber Jack bench sander with assorted belts and discs. £40 on Facebook Market. New price about £140.

I seem to be finding a lot of people who are moving to a house with either no garage, or a very small one and are under orders from their wives to clear all their bulky and expensive tools out ASAP, at whatever price.

What really crave is an English wheel, which is a device to create domed shapes in sheet steel. The ones used in classic car body shops cost several thousand pounds; however, there are some fom Metz or Clarke between £200 and £325, but I'm not sure how well they work beyond simple hobby use. Metz and Clarke do, however, have a good name for tools. Some research is required before I decide buy one.

That said, I found a video on YouTube for a homemade one that cost the bloke who made it under £75. It was a bit wonky, but did the job.

My current conundrum is how to make a mirror image, left hand repair panel from a right hand template that I have. There surely has to be a way. Yes, I could buy a left hand repair panel, but they're very expensive and I want to make as much as I can myself on this GT6 project. "God help anyone who inherits it," I hear you say...

In the absence of an English Wheel, or a method of creating a mirror image, I've ordered a £15 suede pillow that you fill with fine sand, and a a domed, polyester beating hammer to have a go at shaping a repair panel.


The metal bender and stretcher/shrinker will help with the flanges and curvature. I have enough metal left in the original panel to take a cast over which to beat a shape, but the cast has to be very hard and I'm at a loss as to what to use for the casting material.


No comments: