Wednesday 28 April 2010

Brown Denies Sex-Change!


A prospective Labour Party candidate has been suspended after saying he would not be best pleased if one of his kids married a Muslim.

I must admit I’d feel the same way if any of my kids wanted marry a Muslim, or a Catholic, or a creationist. However, I can recognise the fact that none of the political parties can afford to piss off any section of the voting public, as it puts their position at risk. It’s not so much what he said – everyone is entitled to their opinions – it’s the position he said it from. Like the Queen, politicians have to keep their opinions to themselves, and in that manner I don’t envy them.

Having said that, I’d much rather vote for a politician whose views I knew, as how else could I trust him or her? That’s the dilemma of politics and what makes it (and royalty) a dirty business.

Spotted this yesterday during my lunchtime walk. It was sited on a nondescript suburban street corner and must obviously be a legacy from Victorian times.


This is its usual position, so no wonder I’ve never noticed it before.


View Larger Map

I don’t know about you, but I’m starting to get really pissed off an the partisan electoral reporting in newspapers. The low-brow rags seem determined to put the candidates they are not lobbying on behalf of in the worst possible light by smearing them in an oblique way in the manner of the ‘have you stopped beating your wife’ question.

I thought I’d come up with a few of my own:

  • Cameron denies killing a poor person for fun when a member of the Bullingdon Club.
  • Brown denies sex-change.
  • Clegg denies kinky three-in-a-bed sex romp with Susan Boyle and Heather Mills McCartney.
See what I mean? It put a thought into your head that you would not otherwise consider – except possibly ……. all of them, come to think of it.

Apropos of stupid newspapers (and this is positively my last word on Benedictgate), here’s a headline from yesterday’s Daily Mail; ‘Imagine the furore if the Foreign Office had insulted the Prophet Mohammed’.

So now the pope is being elevated to the position of Mohammed and, by association, Jesus? I wouldn’t mind, but this was written by a former ambassador to the US, Christopher Meyer, who one would have thought had a scintilla of intelligence. If anything, Benedictgate is like insulting an incumbent Ayatollah or the Archbish of Cadbury - and that ain’t even blasphemy.

4 comments:

Steve Borthwick said...

I think we should insult a different Deity every day! Today is bad mouth Mithras day (in case you were wondering), tomorrow could be spent taunting Taliesin or mocking Monju-Bosatsu and so on.

At this rate, Yahweh yanking day should come around again in another 25 years or so; that's the great thing about Deities, there are so many to choose from and none of them seem to mind a good joke (unlike their followers).

Andrew said...

Cameron denies changing the first 'o' in his surname to an 'e' for political credibility.....fail!

Alan Burnett said...

Jack, I love the idea you raise that somehow politicians have to be above politics. And sadly, it is all too true as Gordon B discovered today.
Regards, Kevin

Jennysmith said...

Who was that bloke? he had to resign because of what he said about Germans? I remember him saying: , as a politician, you shouldn't say what you really think.

I expect Gordon Brown's feeling the same way today. The daft sod.

Thats annoying me now. Nicholas someone...?/???

xxxx