Monday 18 June 2018

Investors in Gliders & Snaths


I've dug out an old English scythe blade that used to belong to one of Hay's great uncles, who used it to scythe the meadow we built our house in. I think it was last used in anger in the '70s. It was pretty rusty after years of neglect, but seemed in relatively good condition and worth restoring.


What I need, however, is a new snath (being what we experts call the handle), but snaths for English scythes are as rare as brains in a Brexiteer. Below is the blade fully cleaned up and restored.


I think, on the basis of research into English scythe snaths, their availability and price if you can find one, I'm going to have to use this purely as a decorative item in the house and purchase an Austrian scythe  - bloody Europeans and their superior technology...


Been seeing a lot of gliders in our area over the last few days. Going up in a glider would petrify me - not so much in fear of crashing, but losing a thermal and having to land miles from nowhere or destroying some poor farmer's crop. I often wonder which bright spark first thought to himself; "Ooh - I think I'll go up in a plane without an engine"? Doesn't exactly seem a sensible idea at first glance.

Saw a van yesterday with the Investors in People logo. I thought that had died a death decades ago but, apparently, it's still in operation. Never saw the point myself. The companies indulging in this stuff were invariably the worst to work for.


1 comment:

Geo. said...

CB, Good grief. Show a bit of Brexit spirit and make your own handle!