Saturday 25 March 2017

A Friday Jaunt


Went on a little jaunt yesterday to use up the last of my 2016 holiday allocation and spent some of it in this place, which many will recognise from a famous '70s TV advert directed by a young Ridley Scott for a brand of bread. The advert made out it was somewhere up north, but it's actually in Dorset.




Allegedly it's England's steepest street - Gold Hill in Shaftesbury.

We came back via Glastonbury which, despite being only 30 miles away, I've never visited before.

Most of the shops there sell crystal magic bollocks and many of the inhabitants walk around wearing beatific smiles and uniforms comprising kaftans or 70's style patchwork clothes. They look stoned, if you ask me. Incense emanates from most shops and it's like being in a theme park for superannuated hippies. You feel like telling them to just grow up.

Also took in Lytes Carey Manor in Dorset - National Trust, Elizabethan and quite beautiful. Must be one of the few NT houses in the SW not funded by the slave trade.





Apologies for the quality of the photos - it's that blasted temporary phone I'm having to use while mine's being repaired.


6 comments:

A Heron's View said...

Good old Glastonbury I say ! For the Isle of Avalon was my home for twelve years and I had a lot of fun there and in other ways it was training ground, a learning place where the life skills of healing, love and tolerance were taught in a subtle style. Once mastered it was time for me to leave and put into practice all that I had learnt elsewhere.
Granted the place does not suit everyone but to each his own is what I say.

A Heron's View said...

Shaftesbury steepness then how do it compare to Clovelly ?

Steve Borthwick said...

Check out Vale Street in Bristol (even closer to home!)

Chairman Bill said...

I know it well.

Chairman Bill said...

Incense, unfortunately, brings on my asthma. Sister in law burns it in her house, and if we go around I have to take a Ventolin inhaler with me.

Chairman Bill said...

No idea. This was enough for me... Knackered!