Wednesday 22 March 2017

Galaxy S7 Edge Unedged.


Regarding the death of Martin McGuinness; much as I detest Norman Tebbit, I can't blame him for not having a good word to say about him. I would probably feel the same had I been at the end of an IRA bombing. That said, it's so welcome to see the vast majority of those across the political divide giving him credit for the work he did in eventually bringing about peace in Northern Ireland. Neither side was blameless.

As for Colin Dexter's death - who do you reckon dun it?

Phone went into a bootloop on Monday night while charging and started to overheat while we were asleep. It was lucky I came down at 00:30 and unplugged it, as it was so hot I could hardly touch it. Couldn't even switch it off and had to put it in the fridge for 5 minutes before I could get  any sense out of it. Took it back to Vodafone yesterday morning and hopefully Samsung will either replace it or change the battery. There was a very real chance it could have burst into flames.


The Galaxy S7 Edge is one of those stupid phones that are factory sealed, so you can't simply change the battery yourself. A retrograde step taken up by many manufacturers. It was problems with the battery that caused the Note 7 issues.

There's a good chance Samsung'll try it on and say it's out of warranty due to me having installed Nougat, but providing it's a hardware fault (of which I'm 100% convinced, as numerous factory resets, operating in safe mode and even switching the firmware didn't cure the problem), an EU law says they have to repair it under warranty for 2 years. See, there are many such EU laws which protect the consumer.

In the meantime, Vodafone have given me a crappy old device that's slow as treacle, has as much memory as an Alzheimer's patient and is running Kit-Kat. I'm using it with a skeleton set of apps.


3 comments:

A Heron's View said...

In regards to your first paragraph whilst I respect your democratic right to express your own feelings.
I was fortunate in having met Martin and shook his hand several years ago, plus I have always held him in great respect. He fought for the same democratic values that England holds so proudly, for them to be bestowed upon all of the people in Northern Ireland and so I quote : from Richard McAleavey, 21 March 2017.

"A lot of the analysis is regurgitating cliché about a duality between a "man of peace" and a "man of war / violence". This duality is never applied to the British State: did it ever move from a "State of war / violence" to a "State of peace"? Underlying this is the assumption that it has only ever been the latter, despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary.'

Chairman Bill said...

Mel, perhaps you misunderstand me. All I was saying that if I was at the end of a bombing, or one of my loved ones, I'd find it pretty difficult to forgive.

That said, if you're facing an army and you have no chance of defeating that army, and the government isn't listening to your genuine grievances, what other choice do you have open, other than to persuade the people who elect that government by using violence? One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter - an oft used cliche, but valid, nonetheless.

I will never get over the image of McGuinness and Paisley laughing together.

A Heron's View said...

O beg pardon for having misunderstood your words Phil.
Yes, Martin reached and brought out the other side of Ian Paisley and that was good.